Friday, December 21, 2007

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Let me just say that our very first Christmas tree was quite the little project. I wanted us to have a REAL tree for the first go round and nothing of the fake variety. First, there aren't really any trees here locally other than HEB and Walmart and they were not good quality. So, we loaded up the family vehicles(that's right both cars) and made a road trip to Victoria. After looking at a couple of places we decided on 7 to 8 foot Noble Fir. Now how do we get it home, won't fit in the Honda and I don't want to strap it to the roof...? Of course, cram it in the Camaro and tie the hatchback down since it won't shut all the way. Perfect, fits like a glove!

Now that we made it home just to get it up in the stand and decorate right... Well, I bought this expensive tree stand that was recommended to me by the sales lady when we bought the tree. At the time I thought, OK so it is a little expensive, but I guess I will be using it for years to come so why not spend more. Hard to explain about the stand, let me try, there was a bucket of sorts that you attach to the tree with bolts like normal and then you would drop the bucket into the actual base that would enable you to swivel, tilt and manipulate until you had it just where you want it. It was a really great concept what it lacked was poor construction (ie: very weak plastic). The box said it was as easy as 1, 2, 3... yeah right!

Long story short after it had been up about a week (I had been adjusting and tightening all week as it kept seem to be moving) and nearly finished decorating it came crashing down one night as Niki and I were watching TV. Let me just say it scared the crap out of Niki and she nearly jumped thru the ceiling from the couch. We lost a few ornaments, the lights still all worked and I replaced the stand with a 7 dollar special from Walmart the next day. Coincidentally the cheap stand has worked perfectly ever since. We (meaning Niki) finally finished decorating it last weekend. I tried to help, but after Niki took down all the lights I put up I knew I was in for a long haul. Who knew she was going to be so detail driven over our Christmas tree. Guess she wants Taryn's first tree to be a memory. Doesn't she know it will live forever in my mind!


3 weeks later here we are!!! Isn't she a beauty. I have to admit I was a little skeptical about the color scheme Niki went with, but I think it actually looks pretty good. Way to go Niki. I shouldn't have doubted you. Maybe next year you will take me under your wing and show me the ways of a great tree decorator! I love your tree! If Taryn could remember I am sure he would say it is the best Christmas tree he has ever had!


Taryn and Mommy wishing everyone a Merry Christmas! We snuck this picture in when Mommy was home for a quick lunch during one of her busy work days this week.


Have a great Christmas and we will post when we get back home next week!

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Jennifer McHam said...

Merry Christmas guys! LOVE the story avbout the tree - ha! We had a similar experience the first Christmas we were in town for Christmas and Mark nearly threw the tree AND stand out the window! We got a fake tree (I KNOW!) and have been using it ever since!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home